Fresh Favorite Recipes from Chef Krissy
Sweet Shalom Scottish Shortbread
2 c. Butter, room temp
1 c. Sugar, white
4 c. Flour, all-purpose
1 c. Cornstarch
Melted chocolate for dipping
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cream butter and sugar well, at least 5 minutes. Add flour and cornstarch, mixing until combined. Mix in zest or lavender, if using. Pat into jelly roll pan sprayed lightly with cooking spray. Prick with fork. Bake at 400 F For 15 minutes, until golden brown. Cut into pieces and dredge with sugar while still hot. Cool on rack.
Tip- I use a pizza cutter to cut these, then pour 1/2c sugar on top, shaking the pan to cover. When cool, tap off excess sugar. If you’re going to chocolate dip them, wait until completely
cooled and skip the extra sugar.
1, 9” unbaked pie crust
2/3 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. melted butter
1 c. light corn syrup
1 c. pecans
Heat oven to 375 degrees.
Beat eggs, sugar,salt, butter, and corn syrup together with an electric mixer. Mix in pecans. Pour into pastry lined pie plate. Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until set. Cool before serving. Makes 8 servings.
1 quart fresh strawberries, washed and hulled
juice of 2 oranges (3/4) cup
1/2 cup Cointreau or other orange based liqueur
1 1/2 cup heavy cream, chilled
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
Put the strawberries in a bowl and add the orange juice and the Cointreau and set
aside for 1 hour. In a chilled bowl, beat the cream, gradually folding in the sugar and
vanilla. Drain the strawberries, divide into individual pudding dishes, and spoon the
whipped cream over the berries. Serve at once.
Bailey’s Dark Chocolate Truffle Torte
15 oz. good quality semi sweet chocolate
12 oz. heavy cream
4 oz. Bailey’s Irish Cream
Butter (for the pan)
1. Butter a 9 inch spring form pan and line bottom with circle of parchment paper.
2. Chop chocolate and heat in a double boiler until just melted
3. Heat Bailey’s and cream until very warm to the touch, but not bubbling
4. Add melted chocolate to cream mixture and whisk until completely smooth; about 5 full minutes5.Pour into pan and chill overnight.
6. To serve remove outside of pan.
7. Cut into wedges using a warm knife
8. Top with whipped topping and chocolate curls
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup Bailey’s Irish Cream
2 T. confectioners sugar
semi-sweet chocolate curls
Mix cream, Bailey’s and vanilla. Beat on high speed until soft peaks form, add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Shave chocolate for garnish.
Maple Bourbon Pumpkin Pie
1 pie crust for a 9” pie
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
3/4 c. evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. maple syrup
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 c. dark brown sugar, packed
3 large eggs
3 T. Bourbon
15 oz. canned pumpkin
For the Cream Cheese Mixture:
1/4 c. cream cheese, melted
1 T. maple syrup
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Fit dough to pie plate and place in freezer until ready to bake.
3. Combine the milk, maple syrup, brown sugar, Bourbon, spice, vanilla, salt, eggs and pumpkin. Whisk well and set aside.
4. Combine melted cream cheese and 1T. syrup.
5. Pour pumpkin mixture into pie shell, and drop cream cheese mixture by small spoonfuls into filling. Swirl with knife.
Bake for 55 minutes or until set. Cool completely.
1 lb fresh cranberries
1 cup water, plus
2 tablespoons water
7 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 2/3 cups sugar
6 large eggs
1. Put the cranberries and water in a saucepan, cover, and cook on low heat until tender and popped.
2. Pass cranberries through a food mill or press through a sieve and put the puree back in a saucepan. Add the butter and sugar, melting gently.
3. Beat the eggs, then strain them into the fruit.
4. Stir constantly over medium heat until thickened, being careful not to curdle the mixture (it should coat the back of a spoon when thickened). Let cool, then pour into 5, 1/2 pint jars (or any other container.)
Refrigerate. Delicious on scones, toast or muffins.
Juice of 4 lemons
4 eggs beaten
1/2 cup butter
2 cups sugar
Cook all ingredients over simmering water, in the top of a glass double boiler, until thickened and smooth. Pour into a container and chill.
Delicious on scones, buttered toast and cakes.
Asparagus Tea Sandwich
Mix 3 tablespoons softened butter with 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs.
Spread on pumpernickel bread; trim crusts and cut into rectangles.
Slice cooked asparagus tips in half lengthwise; lay on the bread and drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil.
Top with chopped hard-boiled egg, salt and pepper.